Welcome!

Since birth I've been a very world minded person. Having a mother from Malaysia and a father who spent upwards of a year overseas, they did not slack off when it came to world awareness. I recently had gone on exchange to Taiwan, and have met countless people from other countries both before I left and while I was there. I know that in exchange, every experience is a gift, a special something worth sharing. This is a place where you can share these stories. I will be sharing some of my own stories from experiences, augmented by a few of my friends. I hope, though, I can further these stories with ones of your own. Whether you be an exchange student, college student studying overseas, or even just travelling. Welcome, my good friend, to the world view (:

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Homeland: Excerpt: The FuNGs



Well, coming back from exchange has given me additional responsibilities on top of getting readjusted to life in America. Back in September my responsibilities to my sponsoring Rotary Club entailed a presentation of my year to them. The presentation was fantastic. It was such a nostalgic feeling. Every month I had done a speech in front of my Taiwanese club, and speaking the words in English was such
a weird feeling. It was a strange taste after all this time. My American Rotary club seemed to take my presentation quite well. In the following week’s newsletter form the club they called me, “The wisest 17 year old in the world.” Score. :D

The following weekend I was returning to an old favorite. I mentioned before of how I had two preparation years prior to my exchange. Well those years composed of monthly meetings in which Inbounds (foreigners coming to my area) and Outbounds (people like moi) meet to get ready or just learn and relax. I was returning to this wonderful process as a helper. Now I was to become a mentor and counselor to the next generation of exchange students. It was a wonderful time. We met at a
campground and immediately dived into introducing ourselves through games and various activities. Of course, I didn’t participate in all the fun and games, since I had to deal with the largest obstacle in the exchange community. Outbound Parents. Nothing stands in the way of an exchanger more than a nervous parent. Various rebounds along with myself stood up and talked to the parents of these prospective outbounds (now dubbed prospies). Overall I see that the parents left feeling more satisfied and less nervous than before, but I’ll be sure to work on them more throughout the year. All in all, I felt the weekend was a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment